Wanderlust- a strong desire to travel.
That´s a very unique feeling, for some of us it is there, even you just came home from a trip, for others it´s a reason to book a trip to somewhere and some of us will have this feeling for ever.
It´s a great feeling, which leads you to pack your bags, even just for a short trip. But sometimes it´s impossible to bear it, especially when the next vacation is far in the future, the money is gone or the Off-days from work are not enough. Maybe your duties at home keep you their and don´t let you feed your wanderlust.
Often Wanderlust is just a desire to see something new and escape the daily life, or often yourself.
My desire to travel is hard to calm, but if it just to hard to life with, and I find myself looking for hours on maps or books about foreign countries and knowing, my next trip is way to far away, I try to get out of the daily life for just a day by exploring my home.
There are so many opportunities to get rid of this unmanageable feeling, at least for a while.
Explore something New:
– Day trip to a new city
– Day trip into the mountains, to a lake, park or Forrest
– explore your own or close-by city
– get to know traditions
Experience something new:
– try a new sport
– step over your limit and be brave again
– Musical, concert, festival
Learn something new:
– learn a new language
– watch documentaries and read books about your upcoming destination (ATTENTION: your wanderlust might get worse)
– find a new hobby
Be a Child!
Here are some examples for you, that´s what I do to calm my wanderlust down (and some ideas for Munich trips):
– Hiking in the mountains. I LOVE the mountains. Surrounded by such an incredible nature calms me down a lot. (Bavaria has so many beautiful hikes to offer for example: Spitzin, Lengries and Kampenwand)
– City trip to Landshut, Regensburg, Rosenheim, Wasserburg, Erding, Salzburg, Kufstein (some of these city are just an hour away, but they are new to me, and I can explore something and the explorer in me is happy again)
– driving to the countryside. I enjoy it a lot to drive through Bavaria and all the little “towns” and see all the tradtions
– Bavaria has so many traditions. I love all of them, and I join a lot of them in my “Dirndl”. If you don´t know your countrys tradtion, go and get to know them. Accept them and try to figure out, why they are important for some people and how they started. (Picture is from the May 1st, where we put a “may pole” on the “city center” in the typical Bavarian dress)
– Munich is my big love, and I like to explore new streets, look up to the roofs of the houses, all the shops and people and try new restaurants
– driving to the lake, taking a boat, walk around for example: Tegernsee, Ammersee, Schliersee, Spitzingsee, Chiemsee, Starnberger See and so on .. . I´m sure you have some nice ones close by.
– Snowboarding in winter, something that makes me forget my wanderlust for a while
– Surfing (Well, not everyone is lucky enough to live close to an ocean or the sea, but some of you are), so what about Wind surfing or SUP (Stand-up-paddling)?
– Sailing (It´s on top of my To-Do-List for next summer, also wake boarding)
– doing a trip alone (for some of us, it is impossible to sit alone in a cafe in the neighbor city, but they have no fear to travel alone into a distant country) Going a lone is so relaxing
– I study Italian since almost two years now and while doing so I learn so much about Italy. My dream is it, to move to Italy some day, for a few months, and I just prepare myself for that
– I own 4 globes, 3 atlases, 30 travel guides and many many books about traveler, telling about the world. That´s how I get ready for my next adventure
– my most important tip for you: Stay young, Be a child! Never stop Exploring, love simple things, be happy about every sunrise, enjoy watching a lady bug, be exited to see the first snow of the year or find glory in reading a good book. Be brave enough to be crazy, let go and dance whenever you feel like dancing. Build snowmen as much as you want. Be happy about Life. My favourite quote is:
Only the one that grows up and yet remains a child, is Human!
Don´t take life to serious. We have so much to handle with, so much resposiblity, it´s so good to sometimes just let go, be foolish, laugh and do things, those who count as “childish”: But WHO said that?
Some of you might think now “Sounds nice, but I knew it before and it probably doesn´t help me” but my question to you is: “Did you even try it?”
Wanderlust, itchy feet, or as we also say “Fernweh” means, going somewhere distant or far, but what does “Far” mean?
Isn´t it something completely new and unknown, a place to learn and explore something different, often yourself? Many of us can easily let go and get to know themselves better, to educate and to step over your own limits, when they are somewhere distant.
All these feelings are impossible to settle down with just a short trip, but one or two of them can be settled this way. But if you know how to enjoy, to explore and to see the world with open eyes, you know how valuable it is, to escape for a day to a close-by distance.
How do you manage to escape and get your itchy feet calm?